Organized cargo theft during the Thanksgiving Holiday is trending upwards over the last five years*. Don’t allow thieves or criminal rings the opportunity to give thanks for your complacence.
Consider the trends* of cargo theft during the 2018 Thanksgiving Holiday, from Tuesday to Monday:
Average Loss Value: $154,326. Cargo theft incidents reported: 108.
Top targeted location types: warehouses, parking lots, truck stops
Total Loss Value: $9,413,911 ($1,344,844/day, $22,414/hour, $373/minute. $6/second)
Return to your businesses on Monday with goods and services intact at your warehouses and in your trucks on the road. A few basic measures can deter thieves planning to feast on a Thanksgiving banquet of stolen goods away from your facilities and freight-in-transit.
Just remember CPR – Check, Prepare, Report – and have a great Thanksgiving!
- Check that alarms and surveillance systems are working.
- Walk the perimeter to make sure it’s properly secured.
- Check on lighting. Replace non-working fixtures.
- Review timer so lights come on while facility is closed.
- Perform a security system test. Is monitoring service receiving signals?
- Use an alarm backup system with verified response capabilities.
- Remove keys from all equipment (forklifts) and secure them.
- Report system faults right away.
- Ensure company alarm call list is current and contains valid phone numbers.
- Contact law enforcement and ask for additional patrols in the area.
- Perform an initial overall check of the vehicle before leaving it unattended for any length of time.
- Check on the unattended vehicles as frequently as possible.
- Secure the tractor and trailer with a steering wheel locking device, kingpin locks, glad-hand locks.
- Lock trailer doors. Do NOT leave keys inside tractor.
- Only leave vehicles in secured lots with good lighting and surveillance.
- Park within view of cameras.
- Notify dispatch of your whereabouts frequently.
- Use tracking in the freight with geo-fencing and alert notification.
- Gather with your team to discuss perimeter security as soon as possible.
Don’t wait until the day before a holiday to review security procedures and protocols. Apply these suggestions to help maintain the integrity of your security system and keep the criminal element on the outside. Contact Electric Guard Dog today for a site security evaluation, free of charge.